1.15.2012

sweet and spicy.



I thought this week I would share with you one of my Mothers best recipes - it's simple, sweet, and just the right amount of spicy.
Of course, this time of year you will need to buy the hot peppers from a market or grocery store, but I would encourage you to start a small pepper plant this spring if that's possible for you.
Every year my Mom does a great big batch of this relish with the hot peppers from her garden; and each time I try to replicate it - I can never get the bite quite right. I always attribute this to the fresh garden peppers and my impatience and/or lack of garden space...( but then again, there is always that special something that Moms and Grandmas do to their recipies that makes them near impossible to replicate ♥).
Soooo yummy!

Sweet and Spicy Relish

You will need:

6 jalapeno peppers, chopped

1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar

1 1/3 cups (330 ml) apple cider vinegar

4 small yellow onions, chopped

1/4 cup (25 g) of carrots, chopped

1 teaspoon dill seed (or 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh dill with stems)

1 teaspoon mustard seed


In a saucepan, add apple cider vinegar and sugar over low heat. Mix until sugar is dissolved.

Add jalapeno peppers, onion and carrots and bring the mixture to a boil.

Add mustard and dill.

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Serve or package!

*makes about five 250ml jars of relish

*Cook’s tip:

Wash peppers: soak in 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar for 10 minutes. Rinse. Always wear gloves to cut up jalapeno peppers to prevent skin irritation and burning!


Food and Styling:Tara Ballantyne

Photography: Sturla Bakken

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I will have to give the recipe a try. I'm sure my spicy food loving husband will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definately try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is about a recipe, but I was taken by the wooden and board above. It reminds me of pieces I saw from Furnishr. It's a beautiful photo and is so raw and authentic. You should check them out, they've got great services-- your image just reminds me of the quality of work they have:) http://www.furnishr.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...